Product Owner - Checkout
We are looking for a Product Owner to lead the development of our checkout experience, helping our users book the best hotel deals on the planet. As one of the world's leading hotel marketplaces, we bring amazing hotel offers to millions of visitors around the world every month. You'll be responsible for one of the most important steps in this process – giving our users a frictionless and delightful way to book their accommodation. You'll work hard to understand how to build trust with our users, and use a mix of qualitative and quantitative insights to learn what can cause a user to abandon their booking. Along with a great team you'll help deliver some of the smartest features in the industry, building a truly world-class checkout experience.
You'll also help give our users a great experience after they've made their booking - including communicating with them about their booking in their favourite channels and giving them tools to manage, modify and cancel their bookings. If you like the idea of solving some of the toughest problems in travel, delivering delightful experiences for millions of users, and building a truly unique product - you might be the person we’re looking for.
What you will be doing
- Understanding intimately what our users are expecting, through both qualitative and quantitative means. Always staying on top of the rest of the industry (and e-commerce at large)
- Defining the vision and direction for our checkout - you'll be the driving force behind this product, you'll need to develop a clear picture of where we are going and be able to align your team to get it done
- Managing the backlog for the services you own and ensuring delivery. You help to conceive the features, write the requirements, manage the build and implementation, and make sure it delights our users.
- Building a water-tight process for getting things done and delivering on our goals; if there’s something we should be doing then make it happen.
- Always being up to date on the latest technologies, our tech stack and changes in our industry. You want to be on the cutting edge.
- Making sure our checkout is a great platform to build upon - you're responsible for making sure that our users love every minute of their time here
- Working with the rest of the business and the leadership team to understand and define our strategic opportunities and set our priorities, and translate them to both the short term (sprints) and long term (vision); you define the product roadmap.
What a day in the office might look like
You start your day with a stand-up and help identify and remove any roadblocks your squad is facing. Before lunch you sit with a few of the team to review the output of recent user research sessions; you learn where we can double-down and deliver delight, and where we are still not meeting user expectations. After a healthy lunch you take this data into a product review session with your team, slicing up the features that are ready for prime-time and prioritising tasks for the next sprint. Before heading home you grab a beer (or another tasty beverage) and indulge in some competitor analysis, making a few (cancellable) bookings with other travel products to see how we can improve, and how we can differentiate ourselves.
You will be working daily leading a small team of amazing developers, a UX designer and a product analyst. You’ll be supported by a technical lead and by other POs around the company, and we’ll work together to make sure we’re all in sync and rowing in the same direction.
People we love
- Extensive e-commerce experience – you know exactly what users expect when purchasing online, and the challenges ahead for us. You’ve built great experiences that you’re proud to share. Bonus points if this experience is in a travel product.
- Plenty of PO experience - this isn’t your first rodeo. You’re used to leading teams, defining direction, and delighting users. You’ve delivered amazing products at scale before.
- You understand how and why users convert in products like ours, and have gone beyond the usual conversion tactics to deliver smart solutions that make a users experience measurably better
- Passionate about solving problems, and able to translate those solutions into requirements that your team can execute on
- An excellent communicator, fluent in English (we’re 100% international - no Dutch required)
- A fast learner with a curious mind who is willing to experiment – we’re solving new problems all the time, you need to know how to fail fast and navigate your way to the right solutions
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team in a fast growing start-up environment
- Loads of chances to learn and grow – you’ll be surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the city, part of a culture which values sharing knowledge every day, and given a budget to attend conferences and develop yourself
- An agile environment where communication and initiative are valued and cherished
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment that includes a delicious lunch, fruits & snacks, beer tap, ping pong and foosball
- Competitive compensation package including bonuses and Stock Appreciation Rights
- Flexible time off vacation policy
- A spacious and light-filled office located in central Amsterdam