FindHotel is looking for a Data Scientist to join our team and help us push our data driven organisation to even higher levels. We are looking for someone with a strong academic and/or business background in machine learning, statistics and programming, and with a keen interest in applying machine learning to real business problems. The Data Scientist will be leading a variety of projects that aim to automate decision making in core business processes.
What you'll be doing:
Use historical data to build accurate models of KPIs for our performance-based marketing campaigns: customer value, competition, etc.
Optimize the targeting and pricing of our SEM campaigns.
Use Machine Learning to make our website as effective as possible: e.g. by providing visitors the recommendations that are most relevant to them.
Closely collaborate with our developers in the deployment of data science products to our production systems.
Continuously research new data sources, methods and technologies.
What a day in the office might look like:
In our daily standup our analysts have mentioned that European travelers tend to make more expensive bookings when traveling far away from home. They also seem to have a preference for hotels with certain features (e.g. free Wifi, on-site parking, etc). However, data is very scarce and the analysts don't know whether these findings can be used to optimize our European Adwords campaigns. Considering the scale of the European market, any minor optimization in our campaigns can have a great impact in the business, so you decide to take a closer look. You start the morning by getting a relevant historical dataset from our data warehouse, cleaning it, and preparing it for exploration with your favourite tools. After your morning exploration on the you data, you end up with a list of data manipulation and modelling approaches that you think could lead to specific improvements in our campaigns. You will then spend the rest of the afternoon setting up a simple model validation framework that will allow you short list your most promising ideas, so that you can focus on optimizing only those in the following days.
You will be working with a multidisciplinary squad of analysts, data scientists and engineers, and a product owner.
Why join now?
- We have completely re-built the internals of our product and set the foundations to transform FindHotel from a search product into a recommendation system. This transition will obviously be driven by data and will bring exciting data engineering and data science challenges.
- We are looking to grow traffic from 2M monthly visitors to +10M within the coming year. Doing that in a market as mature and competitive as online accommodation means that we need to be truly innovative. If you have a great idea nobody will stop you from giving it a try!
- We have just built a tool that allows us to scale our Search Marketing Campaigns to a completely new level. This means massive datasets and unique challenges in terms of data science, engineering and automation.
- We have formed a solid team of two data scientists and two data engineers and we are looking to grow the team considerably in the near future. You will have the chance to grow with us.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team in a start-up environment
- An agile environment where communication and initiative are valued and cherished
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment that includes a delicious lunch, fruits & snacks, beer tap, ping pong and foosball
- Competitive compensation package including bonuses and Stock Appreciation Rights
- Flexible time off vacation policy
- Great new spacious and light-filled office located in central Amsterdam
People we like:
- Curious, not afraid to make mistakes and willing to question the status quo.
- Professional experience building models that produce actionable insights from complex datasets, preferably in a startup-like environment.
- Ability to work with very large datasets.
- Very good programming skills, preferably in Python and/or Scala.
- Experience using a variety of scientific computing and statistical tools.
- Detail oriented, but practical enough to avoid perfectionist pitfalls.
People we love:
- 3+ years of relevant business experience.
- Experience with Bayesian data analysis techniques and tools.
- Comfortable working with a large variety of data stores: Redshift & PostgreSQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, AWS S3, AWS Kinesis, etc.
- Experience with Apache Spark.
- Experience with cloud computing solutions, in particular in AWS.
- Experience working together with developers to deploy ML models to production environments.
- Interest and willingness to learn about online marketing and travel.
- Motivated and driven to take responsibility and succeed in a start-up environment.
- MSc or PhD in statistics, engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence or related field.
Tip: read some more of our blog posts before applying